Friday, June 4, 2010

Looking Back at May

Grandpa - God:
On the 22th of May we went to the orphanage and it was a great trip. I will share a brief story with you which shook me up. They have a new kid there, he is 3 years of age. He doesn’t speak whole lot, and when he does you would just answer with one of the 20 standard answers that he has. So, while he was working on his coloring theme project about stealing, I thought we would talk. I asked him whether he knew who God is. He confidently responded “Yes, he is like my grandpa”, so I asked him to tell me a little bit about his grandpa and this is what he said: “My grandpa beats my grandma till she bleeds”. I was shocked and I could not find the right words to tell this three year old kid with 20 standard answers to any question. I could give him a good and sophisticated answers but he would not understand. So I sat in silence and then just prayed for this kid as he kept coloring his picture.
The Lord has convicted me through this situation to be prepared to provide a “defence to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you” (1 Pet 3:15). The Lord showed me that despite the knowledge I have of Him I was unprepared to share about Him and His nature with a three year old child who has such a wrong view of God and who needs Him so badly. I was humbled by it and grateful that the Lord taught me this lesson. I am looking forward to going back there and spending more time with this child sharing about the Lord and His plan for his life.

No comments: